United Spinal Association’s Affiliate Service Providers provide the full spectrum of clinical care, products and services, with an emphasis on spinal cord injury and disease (SCI/D). Search our valuable directory to discover service providers near you that specialize in optimizing the health, independence and quality of life of people with SCI/D.
At Helen Hayes Hospital’s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program, patients benefit from a full range of rehabilitative services dedicated to enabling them to resume active, independent lives. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals.
Each patient receives treatment from an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team under the direction of a board certified physiatrist with a specialty in spinal cord injury. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical, occupational and speech therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, psychologists, dieticians and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family and caregivers to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family education and conferences.
Customized Treatment Plan
The strength of the HHH Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program is its capacity to address all of the complex effects of spinal cord injury, including paraplegia and quadriplegia, respiratory disorders, bowel and bladder dysfunction, skin care and wounds and spasticity, as well as emotional and psychological issues related to adjustment to a new way of life. Patients are admitted directly into our specially designed and equipped spinal cord injury unit, which offers round-the-clock monitoring and the capability to care for patients with feeding tubes and ventilators. The acute rehabilitation program provides a full spectrum of services, along with access to highly specialized care and state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Dedicated 24-bed SCI Unit and therapy gym
- Patient rooms with internet access & environmental controls to maximize patient independence
- Medical leadership and care provided by a board certified physiatrist with specialty in SCI Medicine
- Medical consultation services including cardiology, urology, pulmonology, ENT, orthopedics, pain management
- 24/7 on-site physician/physician extender care
- Certified Rehabilitation Nursing
- Physical Therapy to restore mobility & strength
- Occupational Therapy to restore the activities of daily living
- Speech Language Therapy including Dysphagia/swallowing therapy, Videoflourscopy, FEES, VitalStim Therapy/E-Stim, speech-breathing/voice therapy with use of Passy-Muir Speaking Valve for patients with tracheostomy tubes and/or on mechanical ventilation
- State-of-the-art therapeutic equipment including: ReWalk, Vibration Therapy, Bioness, upper extremity FES, RTS 300 FES bicycle, Armeo
- Assistive technologies/Seating & Mobility Center
- Body weight supported treadmill training
- Recreational Therapy Services & Adaptive Sports
- Ventilator weaning & management/tracheostomy care/Respiratory Therapy
- In-house Orthotics department including WalkAide
- Virtual Reality Therapy
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Smart Apartment/Activities of Daily Living training
- Patient & Family Education/ in-house SCI education TV Channel
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Peer Mentoring
- Aquatic Therapy
- Nutrition Education
- Overnight transitional living apartment
- Sexual Counseling
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Spinal Cord Injury Support Group
51-55 Route 9W North West Haverstraw, New York, USA 10993